Menu buttons


                 

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Pumpkin! (31 Days: Day 7)

(photo from pumpkin carving last year)

Pumpkin!  One of my favorite things about Fall is all the yummy pumpkin recipes - and there seem to be even more than usual this year MMMMMM (see my pinterest boards here and here).  I have been on a bit of a pumpkin kick here the last couple of weeks (the husband might call it obsessed lol) and completely enjoying it.  Pumpkin muffins.  Pumpkin dip (I use it for apples and cinnamon pita chips.  you can find a similar recipe here).  Pumpkin cream cheese for bagels (recipe found here)
Pumpkin Mousse (recipe here).  We tried this the other night after apple picking and I'm in love.  We did it kind of in a trifle version with pieces of soft gingersnap cookies.  They add just the right punch of flavor and texture.
And then last night's exeriment:  sooooo good!
Sam has been wanting to try making his own marshmallows.
I think he used Alton Brown's recipe.  I was suprised at how easy it was (though the KitchenAid got the workout of its life)
Those were made a day ahead of time as they need to set for a while.  They are absolutely worth the wait - lots creamier and more flavorful than store-bought marshmallows.  Though I'm sure we'll still use the store ones most of the time as they are much less expensive and so much faster.
Anyway.  While Sam was working on our project of the weekend (so excited about this one!  It's my bday present, which I hope to show off soon) I decided to try a batch of pumpkin spice syrup.  (recipe here)  We added it to our favorite hot chocolate mix (Stephen's - we searched all over for this after our move and were so excited to finally find it at the base commisary) with the homemade marshmallows.  Oh my - yummy!  I'm not a coffee drinker so I haven't tried the pumpkin spice lattes everyone raves about - and look what I was missing!  I'm glad to have found my own personal substitute.  Any bets on how quickly we use up that bottly of pumpkin syrup? :)
Next:  pumpkin granola or pumpkin waffles...?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for featuring my pumpkin mousse! What a treat! Those marshmallows look SO GREAT!!!

XO, Aimee