Menu buttons


                 

Friday, January 3, 2014

My Word for 2014

Hello 2014!  I've jumped right into it and haven't really come up for air.  It's completely unfair that the new year has to start right in the middle of vacation for everyone - everyone, that is, except the Moms.  We're nearing the end of more than two weeks with the kids home without a break, and the husband has had most of that off too.  Don't get me wrong.  I love my family, love having them home and spending time with them and it's been a great holiday.  But with everyone home I don't actually get much time for myself and absolutely no guarantee that what I do take won't get interrupted (multiple times) without any notice.  It's not really conducive to deep thinking or blogging. 

Anyway.

It has been my system for the last few years to join in with Ali Edwards (see her One Little Word post here) and a lot of other great people and choose one word as a focus for the year.  I've found it really does help to not only keep my resolutions in sight for longer than the first few weeks of the year, but by focusing on a word instead of specific goals things take on a different dimension.  I have my resolutions in mind when I am selecting my word for the year and the direction I take with it, but the word itself becomes more than that.  Since we can never predict what the future will hold, it also helps extend my focus into any situation that I may encounter. (or that's the theory)

I was reminded of this a few weeks ago.  The word I selected last year was Choose.  (see my 2013 post here)  And back in November the husband and I thought we may be making a big change in our lives.  As it turns out, we didn't.  But when I was in the midst of stressing about it I realized that with or without the big change I could CHOOSE to make some changes in my life as it is now - rearrange some priorities and not do things simply because I felt obligated.  In the end one of the decisions I made was to no longer act as leader for my daughter's girl scout troop, not at the end of the year, not after cookies sales, but now.  As soon as I had firmly made that decision I had this huge sense of relief.  And, you know, I'm not sure I would have even thought about making that decision if I hadn't been reminded of my word for the year.

The word I've chosen for this year is Intention. I went back and forth about it a lot, mostly because it doesn't feel as "catchy" or pretty as some of my previous words. But I kept
coming back to it and it seems to fit the best with where I want my perspective to be this coming year. I want my decisions and actions to be made for the right reasons. I want to interact with my kids intentionally (as opposed to reacting, which isn't always the best thing. Less frustration, more hugging - that sort of thing). I want to be more positive and less judgmental. I want to get to the things I truly want to accomplish instead of pushing them aside. And I am determined to develop more healthful habits (exercise, eating, less TV, etc) for myself and my family.

This year I really want to explore my word more than I have in the past.  I want to integrate it into my life on a more regular basis.  So I signed up for a One Little Word online workshop this year and I'm very excited about it.  I haven't had a chance to spend much time on the prompt for January (two more days until the kids go back to school - phew!), but I've been on the FB group for the workshop and am seeing all kinds of wonderful people and inspiration, and it's fantastic.  I can't wait to get started.

And it's going to be a great year!

No comments: