Menu buttons


                 

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Word of the Year (2012)


(image credit)

Well it's a good thing one of my resolutions for this year wasn't keeping up with the blog or getting ahead of things (though maybe it should be) as I would have already blown that one :) I picked my Word for the Year a couple weeks ago but didn't blog about it yet. And you know it isn't real until I blog about it! (and put it out there where everyone can see and hold me accountable).

For those of you that have known me for a while (in person or online), you know that every year I follow Ali Edwards' example and select a word to use as my touchstone for the year. I spend some time thinking about where my life is, what I see happening in the next year, and where I could use the most help in focusing mentally/emotionally. This isn't a goal-setting activity, it's more about guiding my state of mind. As Ali says about her One Little Word:

"You live with it. You invite it into your life. You let it speak to you. You might even follow where it leads. There are so many possibilities." (you can read her entire blog post about it here)

So what did I see for myself in the coming year? I see it as a year of transition. My youngest will be finishing up preschool and moving on to Kindergarten. And as a Stay-At-Home-Mom that is something more than just a sign of a child growing up. It means a major shift in my every-day life. I actually see it as quite freeing, though bittersweet. There are just so many things lately that remind me of how quickly children grow up. But in between now and then is a lot of learning and growing for everyone.


So the word I selected for this year is:

Moments.

Live in the moment. Appreciate the moment. My kids aren't getting younger - remember the moment. Take advantage of the moment. Capture the moment (photos). Quit procrastinating and get stuff done so I can better enjoy the other moments. :)...

Do you do a Word of the Year? Please share. Ran across a great quote that uses the word moment? Please share that too!

No comments: