Menu buttons


                 

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Cover it


This is what we found when we uncovered our swing this summer. Or at least that's what the smaller hole turned into as soon as someone sat on the swing. So of course I had to do something about it and it was obvious that patching it wasn't going to work. The swing is made in such a way that you can't get the cushions off without taking the whole thing apart. So I decided some sort of slipcover would be the best option. I had no idea what I was doing, but dived right into the project anyway. Thank goodness for Trading Spaces - their slipcover/uphostery technique worked like a charm. I cut and seamed the fabric so that it would roughly fit the size of the swing. Then put it over the swing upside down and pinned it anywhere it looked like it needed a seam. I sewed along the pinned lines, hemmed the unfinished edges, and added velcro to the edge of all the sides. And it actually worked!

Here is my swing now. The stripes are actually brown, tan, green, and cream but that's hard to see in the photo. As you can see, the only thing I need to do is figure out some way to tack that sagging bottom part under.

Now on to the next project! :)

5 comments:

Christina said...

Nice job! Figuring that out without being able to take it off the swing would be tough!

Cheri and Sterling said...

I'm impressed! Great Job!!

Audrey said...

I didn't know you started another blog. See I knew you would totally getting way into blogging and totally blow me out of the water:) I love the new cover.

momma_lizzie said...

awesome job!! you are so creative lol
I can't wait for next month... it's gonna be fun. I'm really loving the way I do my scrapbooks now... and I'm proud to say... I'm all caught up on Adin's book!

Cartier Family said...

Great job Alayna! I can't wait to see it up close and in person in a few weeks!!!