Menu buttons


                 

Friday, August 22, 2014

Halloween/Thanksgiving 2x4 Craft - Double Sided!

If it weren't for other people, I don't know if I'd manage to work in time for "fun" crafting very often - especially right now when I seem to spend most of my days in the garage working on drying racks or sorting through yet another closet or stack of boxes in an effort to pare down all the STUFF before we move.  However, I get pretty cranky when all I do is "work" so a couple months ago when I was asked to put together a craft for the women's group at a local church I was pretty quick to agree.  I love introducing people to one of my favorite hobbies!
It didn't take us long to decide on an easy (and hopefully quick!) 2x4 craft for Halloween and Thanksgiving - yes, it's double sided!    The easier it is to change out holiday decor and the less space it takes up in storage, the better, right?  The front side reads "BEWARE of little Monsters" and the back side says "THANKS for little Blessings."
We ended up with almost 30 people signed up for the craft - Yay!  I'm told most of them have never done anything crafty so I've been thinking extra hard about how to have it all go as smoothly as possible.  Over the last week or so I've pulled together a kit for everyone and while I was at it I figured, hey, why not pull together a quick How To for the blog.  I haven't done one of those in a while.
In the kit they will find the wooden blocks, vinyl lettering, patterned paper cut to size, a couple pieces of ribbon (which I forgot to put in the photo!) and even a nice little reference sheet.  I took the extra time to type up the reference sheet because 1) a few of the people won't be able to make it tomorrow but still wanted to make the craft and 2) with that many people they may not be able to have the example blocks right in front of them and I wanted them to at least have photos for reference and 3) some people learn better/retain things better if they can read it instead of just listening to a quick explanation.

*For those of you that are going to ask (and I know someone is going to ask!) here is a quick run through of the sizes for the wood pieces.  You can use a 2x4 for all pieces (I got 2-3 sets out of one 2x4).  Cut out two pieces 7 1/4" high, two pieces 4 1/8" high, and two pieces 3 1/2" high.  For the base block I cut it 14" long then ran it through the table saw (or rather, my awsome husband did) so that it was 2" high.

The rest of the process is pretty easy:
-paint all sides of all wooden pieces.  (Actually I would have preferred to stain them, but the stain has to dry overnight and it really messy so I figured paint was a much better option for craft day)  It will probably take two coats.
-cut your patterned paper slightly smaller than the size of the blocks.  Adhere patterned paper with Modge Podge or similar adhesive
-apply vinyl lettering
-apply another coat of Modge Podge over the top of everything, including the sides that are only painted (this keeps the finish consistantly glossy on all sides)
-when dry, attach ribbon embellishments using wood glue or a hot glue gun.

Told you it was easy! ;)  Now for the beauty shots.






The big craft day is tomorrow!  I've already been over to help set everything up - can't wait!  I'll let you know how it goes... ;)

Linking to:
Link Party Palooza
BFF Open House Link Party

16 comments:

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

What a wonderful idea and they came out great. Wanted to let you know I'm featuring you when my link party opens up tonight :)

Heidi Kay @ Muslin and Merlot said...

These are darling. Great paper choices! Saw this at The Answer is Chocolate :-).

Mike said...

These are really cute. Where did you get your lettering done and which font did you use? I'm finding it's quite expensive for the vinyl letters.

EricFord said...

This is a good idea to decorate the room on a special occasion you can simply make these two-way crafts for your tables and other place, thanks for this useful blog, Now it's time to avail generator installation for more information.

julia said...

These ideas are very helpful for this thanksgiving. This blog is interesting for this occasion. The people get the advice from this article. Keep sharing your content. Now it's time to avail shutters in birmingham for more information

EricFord said...

This blog is really helping me to design some of the study table things, like paper weight and lamp, share, more like this thanks for this informative blog, Now it's time to avail HALFCASTE CREAM SET for more information.

John Hardy said...

I really love your article. This article is very helpful for me to design a room or table. Yes i am totally agreed with this article. Thanks for sharing this article and good information. Now it's time to avail african gowns for ladies for more information.

Unknown said...

great post thanks, It’s time to know about y2mate for more details.

Alina Haris said...

Your blogs are really good and informative, keeps haring such good content.
5 Marla plots in Lahore

sarifde said...

Great blog! keep sharing more
Abaya Collection With Price

terrypeter said...

Your wooden blocks look so beautiful and simple. This idea about your paper block is very appreciable. Thanks for sharing this with us. it's time to avail this Plumbing services in Jumeirah Circle Village visit us for more services in Dubai.

terrypeter said...

This wooden block looks so beautiful. This is amazing idea for creative work. Thanks for sharing these ideas with us. How to sign up for Nest Aware on iPhone https://guestpostingnow.com/how-to-sign-up-for-nest-aware-on-iphone/ for more details.

terrypeter said...

It is very good idea to decorate the room on a special occasion that you can simply make these two-way crafts for your tables and other place. I like your article and idea too. Thanks for sharing this with us. Now it's time to avail this Detroit City Tour Services visit us to more services.

terrypeter said...

This post is really help me to design the things and your idea about designing tables is amazing. Thanks for sharing this with us. Now it's time to avail metro car services https://metroairportslimo.com/ visit us for more details.

Tim Steve said...

Well said in this blog. Really informative blog for me. Keep sharing more blogs in the future. I will share this one with my friends. Now it's time to avail Luxury Limo Services in Long Beach CA for more information.

Gary sobers said...

I am looking forward to this article. It is a nice informative content. Now its time to avail limousine service Dublin ca for more information.